SPACE WEATHER PDF DOWNLOADS
This area of our website presents PDF information on Space Weather from a variety of sources. Most are easy reading; however, some are a bit technical. I indicated files containing technical data with the word TECHNICAL or phrase SEMI-TECHNICAL. There are currently 25 PDFs.
PDFs are presented alphabetically, not with a particular sequence of reading in mind.
Search, Learn & Enjoy!
1. A Profile of Space Weather — Primer|
NOAA Space Weather Prediction prepared a basic primer on Space Weather. 11 pages.
2. FlipChart Aurora V4|
NASA prepared flip chart about Auroras. 7 pages.
3. FlipChart Magnetosphere V4|
NASA prepared flip chart about the Magnetosphere. 8 pages.
4. FlipChart Storm Signals V4|
NASA prepared flip chart about Storm Signals. 7 pages.
5. FlipChart Sunspot Regions V4|
NASA prepared flip chart about Sunspot Regions. 15 pages.
6. Solar Activity and Space Weather: Introduction to Space Weather|
Intro to space weather from Haystack Observatory, MIT. 8 pages.
7. Mysteries of the Sun|
Intro eBook presented by NASA's Heliophysics Division of the Science Mission Directorate. 20 pages.
8. NASA Educator's Instructional Guide V4|
NASA prepared space weather guide for educator's. 26 pages.
9. Radio Wave Propagation|
Article about the frequencies of the Sun's electromagnetic radiaion. 4 pages. TECHNICAL
10. Solar Flares - Magnetohydrodynamic Processes|
A paper on the magnetohydynamic processes of solar flares. 99 pages. TECHNICAL
11. Solar Storm Threat Analysis|
A paper on solar storm threat analysis. 29 pages. TECHNICAL
12. Space Weather — Its impact on Earth and implications for business|
Lloyd's report on how space weather may impact earth and affect businesses. 36 pages. SEMI-TECHNICAL
13. Space Weather — Storms from the Sun|
A NOAA booklet on space weather. 12 pages.
14. Space Weather — The Solar Perspective|
A paper on the Sun's power and affect on Earth. 74 pages. TECHNICAL
15. Space Weather 101 — Resources|
NOAA's SWPC education and outreach resources. 2 pages.
16. Space Weather Indices|
Australian government Bureau of Meterology classification of space weather indices. 1 page.
17. Space Weather Slide Presentation for Schools|
A NOAA Research PDF slide presentation on space weather. 27 pages.
18. The Ionosphere|
Paper on the ionosphere by the Space Environment Center in Colorado. 4 pages.
19. Tracking Sunspots|
A NASA prepared teacher-led classroom exercise for pairs of students. 25 pages.
20. Turbulent Diffusion in the Photosphere|
Turbulent Diffusion in the Photosphere as Derived from Photospheric Bright Point Motion. 22 pages. TECHNICAL
The National Academies Press
The National Academies Press offers free PDF books/reports online. Following are four that related to Space Weather.
22. The Effects of Solar Variability on Earth’s Climate — A Workshop Report|
September 2011 workshop explored connections between space weather & Earth's climate variability. 71 pages. SEMI-TECHNICAL
24. Solar and Space Physics: A Science for a Technological Society — An Overview (2014)|
The energy Earth receives from the Sun determines Earth's environment.
Space Weather and Gamma Ray Bursts
26. A Brief History of the Discovery of Cosmic Gamma-Ray Bursts — 2013|
—Easily read. 2 pages.
29. Gamma-rays and Cell Phones|
—An article by Melissa Gibby, Jacobs ESTS Group and GBM Operations Scientist, Science and Mission Systems Office. 2 pages.
30. MagnetoHydroDynamics of Gamma-Ray Burst Jets|
—A PDF presentation best viewed in full-screen mode. 33 pages. TECHNICAL